1. Working remotely should not be the only reason you want the position. If you put on your resume or state in an interview that you are interested in the position because you want to work from home, you will NOT get the job. Research the company culture, mission, goals, and achievements and demonstrate what you can bring to the organization. If you only express interest in the flexibility of the position, the employer will quickly pass you by.
2. Target specific companies. Each year, FlexJobs creates a list of the top 100 companies that offer work-from-home opportunities. Explore this list and other companies you may be aware of that offer virtual positions and create a strategic plan to get your foot in the door with companies of interest.
3. Network. After identifying companies of interest, leverage your network (don’t forget to join the WGU – Western Governors University Alumni & Students group on LinkedIn!) and schedule a few informational interviews with contacts who are in remote positions and/or working at companies of interest.
4. Use a variety of search terms. Remote opportunities are on the rise and there are a variety of search terms you can use on job boards such as indeed.com to identify opportunities. Make sure to include your location along with the search term for the most accurate results.
- Work at Home or Work from Home
- Telecommute or Telecommuting
- Virtual or Remote
- Freelance or Consulting
- FlexJobs – FlexJobs is a professional job service to help you find the best flexible jobs available, safely and easily. Every job is hand-screened and legitimate. Guaranteed. There is a subscription fee for this site.
- We Work Remotely – A great place to find and list jobs that aren’t restricted by commutes or a particular geographic area.
- PowertoFly – Join the community connecting women to companies that care. Offers in office, flexible, and remote opportunities with family-friendly benefits and competitive pay.
- GitHub Jobs – GitHub has a category devoted to remote jobs on their website. These are all development-focused, with listings from all over the world
- HigherEd Jobs – HigherEd Jobs has a category devoted to remote jobs in education.
For individualized assistance in putting a strategic job search plan into place, contact the WGU Career & Professional Development Center. We are here to help!